Saturday, May 3, 2008

Apple Spice Cupcakes

Before the cupcakes, it's happy birthday to my cousins Mommy Myleen (today, May3) and Buboy (May1). I'd make some cupcakes for you when I'm back home. :) There are a lot of us in the family celebrating our birthdays in May and when I was younger, I still was not yet over the feeling that it's my birthday, and then it's someone else's birthday already! But when you grow up (or old!), you start to hate the fact that it's going to be your birthday again. Hehe.
Anyway, on to baking. These are Apple Spice Cupcakes some topped with Swiss Meringue Buttercream and others with my leftover Cream Cheese Frosting. For sometime now, I'd been wanting to try out the spice cupcakes that I keep seeing in cupcake forums and blogs (like chai latte, green tea, honey spice) as I am intrigued by how it will taste like. I keep a Ginger Spice cupcake recipe and I could not imagine ginger being in my sweet and lovely cupcakes!
We are already almost out of groceries and we need to have one soon. However, we can't go out today as it is Shabbath, and as I was rummaging through my fridge and cupboards for something to cook, I saw this jar of unopened Applesauce that I remember buying ages ago. I immediately checked on the expiration date and it says 9-10-2010 so it would still be very good. I decided that for today, I'd be making some cupcakes using the Applesauce.
I have a recipe of Apple Spice Cupcakes and upon reading through it, I have all of the ingredients to make it. On top of the regular cupcake recipe, it needed some brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves and the Applesauce. After mixing the batter, I popped the cupcakes into the oven and it was done at 18min mark.
The cupcakes turned out to be nicely domed and fluffy, and the color was slightly gold/brown. It was perfectly baked and I let it cool on the racks. After it cooled, I topped it with some Swiss Meringue Buttercream that I made, and some of the Cream Cheese Frosting leftover that I had from the Lemon Cupcakes that I made. It turned out to be so good! It's the first time that I tried something like it and it was yummy.

No comments:

 
or