Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Day I Met Sarah

It's snowing in New York! I woke up feeling groggy today because I have only slept for like 3 hours. It was a long night but I think I have enough rest for now. I'm pretty syched, I'm meeting my baking mentor, Sarah Phillips. I'm supposed to meet her at Les Halles at 9:30am and I started preparing really early (like 3 hours ahead of time). I don't want to be late, and I still have to study how to get there. After getting dressed, I'm off to the subways. After getting a feel of how it was riding the subway, it was fairly easily, and convenient. Plus very cheap!

After getting off the sub, I walked (giddily I must say!) towards the restaurant and it was snowing. I loved it. It wasn't that bad really. I got ahead of myself into fearing the cold and the snow in New York. I got at Les Halles at around 9:20am, and Sarah was already there. I can see her from the street. And when I got inside, I got a huge mommy hug from her. She was so warm and accomodating. And she looked prettier and younger in person than in the photos! I'm already in love with her. We talked about almost everything, like I've known her forever. Like a kid talking to her mom about her series of misadventures and bad lucks. :) We talked for hours in the restaurant while I'm having coffee and crepes (which by the way are sooo good!) until we had to go. Her daughter Liz had a doctor's appointment and she had to come with her. So we said our goodbyes and I headed towards the Grand Central. When I got there, I planned on going to Macy's or Bloomingdales for some window shopping. I got sidetracked a bit because I took photos in the station. While I was taking pictures, Sarah texted me saying that they did not have to go to the doctor anymore because the doctor's just gonna call them with the results. She's inviting me back to her house to bake some cakes! Omg! I was so ecstatic! While I was texting her back, she was calling me already. And so I walked back to her apartment.

When I got there, she asked me what do I want to bake, and I wanted a Genoise because that I feel is my worst cake. :) So on we baked with me wearing a cute apron and Sarah wearing her baking clothes. And off to work we went. I finally figured out where my Genoise went wrong, and it's in the folding. I was stirring instead of folding. While baking, I had a wonderful time talking to my "Jewish Mom". Sarah is really a wonderful soul. Very kind and very warm. And I also met Liz her daughter, who looks really beautiful. The smell of the Genoise in the oven filled her aparment and I was so excited to try it out. The Genoise rose really nicely, and the texture was very light. And the taste was so delicious. She made me a tall glass of coffee with the Genoise. Wonderful right? I was in baking heaven. I can't even take good photos because I was so distracted!

It was late in the afternoon already when I left her apartment, and I took half of the Genoise that we made. I walked aimlessly around for about an hour, getting a feel of New York living and then it started snowing again. I went to the nearest subway station and went back to the hotel. I took a nap for a bit, then had a wonderful dinner. Come to think of it, anything with an ice cold coke is wonderful. I bet I won't be sleeping again tonight with 2 cups of coffee and a can of soda.


Papadam said...

Your baking is beautiful

Lyra said...

finally, you met her!